Monday, April 27, 2015

Flowered Top and Me-Made-May 15


Yesterday I completed this summer top. My own way of telling the weather what to do ;) or maybe only wishfull thinking. I'm planning on making some more pieces for summer. After the cold months I can't wait for warm weather. (By the way, today it was really nice and sunny.)




























The top is a longer version of Mod.103 of Burda 3/2015 (which is really only the upper part of the dress Mod.105).





The little blousey thing is made of a light cotton print with little snow-flakey dots. 
The fabric is from Restehaus Maier, my favourite local fabric store - I know it doesn't sound very fancy but they have a nice selection of different materials and I think they really made an effort to get more up to date during the last couple of years. 
I lengthened the pattern pieces to the point where the upper side pannels for the dress Mod.105 end. Instead of closing the seams top to bottom I left the last 12 centimeters open as slits because the top sat a bit snug around the hips. At first it shuffled its way up until it was bunched around my waist. This way didn't look very chic or easy. 
I always have some problems finding the right size and then I still have to modify the pattern for a good fit unless I'm using jersey. Women seem to have very fixed proportions in pattern makers minds. Of course patterns have to be made for the more standard body types. But I think it would really be pleasant to make a garment exactly like the pattern given just once. If you're making patterns yourself, don't feel critizised, I know you must be having a hard job finding a good fit for as many women as possible.
The arm holes, neckline and bottom seams are hand stiched. I tried machine stiching first but it made the edges wavy.

I like this new top although usually flower prints are not my first choice of fabric. Probably I will give this pattern a second go with a non-print. Or maybe even make the dress?
Here are the front and back view of the top. 






Has anyone made on of the dresses of the March 2015 magazine, yet?  I think there are some really wonderful dress patterns in this issue. My favourites are probably the three striped ones. (pictures coming soon)



Me-Made-May 2015

Another thing I wanted to mention. 
I'm taking part in Me-Made-May. I just signed up today. 
Here's my pledge:

I, Kathrin, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '15. I endeavour to wear at least one me-made garment each day for the duration of May 2015. I will finally complete the jeans blazer that has been sleeping at the back of my sewing cupboard for at least ten years and I will sew one top or skirt that actually matches one other me-made item.


I won't be posting daily outfit pictures, but maybe every few days? 
The last thing I'd like to share today is the current state of the jeans blazer. I started it when I was still at school and then lost faith that it would look fashionable or wearable. But now I think it isn't so bad and I want to give it a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment